Spelt Flour Vegetable Pizza
Who doesn’t LOVE pizza! I love them, in fact, any vegetarian pizza is a feast for me 😋
But lately, I have been avoiding all white flours and cheese. And a pizza without cheese is unimaginable. So I took upon myself to figure out a tasty, healthy home-made pizza recipe 🙂
I had read many spelt flour recipes and had also seen it in grocery stores. Looking at its texture and consistency, I always thought that spelt flour can become messy while cooking and is a compromise on taste. But I gave it a shot in this recipe and found that it to be quite manageable if handled carefully in the beginning. So yes, my pizza dough is using spelt flour and there goes any possibility of being unhealthy on the base.
Now, what about cheese? I have tried different types of vegan cheese from the store, almost all with a high price tag and always felt like something was missing. This time I found a super simple way to make your own vegan parmesan cheese at home with just 4 ingredients. It is an excellent alternative for gluten-free and dairy-free cooking, plus it is much cheaper than buying parmesan cheese off the shelf. Nutritional yeast is the key ingredient here and it is a great source of protein, low in sodium and fat, sugar-free and most importantly a good source of vitamin B12 for vegetarians and vegans.
So here’s my ingredient list, go ahead and make a nutritious, wholesome pizza for dinner tonight!
Ingredient list –
- 1 1/2 cups, Spelt flour
- 1tsp, baking powder
- 2tsp, olive oil
- 1/2tsp, salt
- 2tsp, cornmeal (optional)
- 1/2 cup, water
- 6oz, can tomato paste
- 6oz, can tomato sauce
- 2tsp, onion paste
- 1tsp, minced garlic
- 1tsp, dried basil
- 1tsp, dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp, ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp, cayenne pepper
- Salt – as per taste
Vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 cup, cashew nuts (raw, unsalted)
- 4tbsp, nutritional yeast
- 1tsp, sea salt
- 1tsp, garlic powder
- 1tsp, onion powder (optional)
Pizza toppings (as per choice)
- Pizza dough – You can do this in a food processor, but I prefer kneading the dough with my hands. In a bowl, add the spelt flour, baking powder, salt and mix well before adding water. Then start adding water gradually and start kneading the dough. Here’s the trick with spelt flour – add water gradually while kneading and then this flour will be friendly to you. Once you have a rough dough ball, add olive oil and keep kneading into a ball. Grease a bowl with some olive oil and keep the dough covered for 30 mins.
- Pizza sauce – In a pan, add 1tsp of olive oil and saute the onion paste, then add tomato paste and sauce and saute for 2 mins. Then add the herbs and salt and keep stirring gently till the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Cheese – In a food processor or blender, grind all the ingredients until mixed together. I liked my vegan parmesan cheese batch when I used onion powder so I use it to make my cheese. But this is optional and you can experiment as per your taste.
- Pizza toppings – You can use any toppings as per your choice. I have used sliced onions, sliced bell peppers (green, red and yellow), sliced mushrooms, sliced olives.
- Pizza base – Pre-heat the oven at 450°F for 15-20 mins prior to baking the pizza. Roll out the pizza dough onto a dusted parchment paper roughly into a 12”circle. You can use cornmeal to dust the parchment paper.
- Pizza assembly – Spread the pizza sauce and toppings with the cheese and bake for 20-25 mins.
Pizza is usually thought of as a high calorie and unhealthy meal. Hopefully, after trying this recipe you will think again 🙂